Monday 27 May 2013

Colourful Cape Town

GMO Protest March followed by Open Streets event in Observatory.


Saturday was a busy day, spent outdoors despite the chilly weather.

I started off by joining a large group of spirited people who were gathering for the protest march Against Monsanto and GMOs. We gathered at the foot of an eight-storey-high mural called Land and Liberty by artist Faith47. I am a great fan of her work and have mentioned her a couple of times in my blog before (see You will be a blessing and Living apart / Entwined).
I have included a few pics that I took with my phone, but do not want to use this post as a platform to air my views on the subject of GMOs. Instead I would like to focus on the spirit and creativity of the people in my hometown, beautiful Cape Town.


Mural: Land and Liberty by Faith47



Some clever placards and fabulous outfits


Sun umbrellas by Afrisol
In the crowd I spotted some beautiful hand made sun umbrellas. These umbrellas are made by a company called Afrisol.
You can click here to go to their website and for more information.

Sun umbrellas by Afrisol

 

Protesters gathered on the Grand Parade outside Cape Town City Hall
 
* * *
 

Open Streets

The afternoon was spent hanging out on the streets of Observatory.


The Open Streets event was "a citizen-driven initiative, working to design and promote streets which embed and generate respect for people, regardless of who they are, and how they move."


















Marikana Protest at the Open Streets event.






 
I LOVE Obs. I do.
 And I love colourful Cape Town.






2 comments: